Monday, June 18, 2012

Aww Shucks!



Shucking corn.

Sadly I didn't make it to the Farmers Festival this weekend, but I was able to keep myself busy around the house. Earlier this week my dad came home with a bushel of corn. As you know you have to blanch corn before you can freeze it so my mom taught my a neat tip to blanch a lot of corn all at once. She said to put it in the dishwasher, yeah it's a little weird but it works! Once you have shucked all the corn just put it on the top rack (don't add soap) and run it on the top rack only cycle. Then let it cool and put it in freezer bags. We kept some out and grilled it which was amazing!


On Sunday since it was Father's Day I decided to make my dad a sour cream pound cake, yum! Unfortunately neither of my grandmothers, nor my mom have a great recipe so I had to find one for myself. The one that I think is one of the best and easiest recipes is the queen of southern cooking,  Paula Deen's  recipe. Hers is simple, easy and not too many ingredients, just be patient while you're baking so you don't forget anything. DO NOT OPEN the oven while the cake is baking if you do it could fall!


GRANDMOTHER PAUL’S SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6   large eggs
3 cup flour
1 cup sour cream
3 cup sugar
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, combine and cream the butter, sugar, and add the sour cream. Sift the baking soda and flour together.  Add the sifted flour to the creamed mixture alternating with eggs, beating each egg one at a time.  Add the vanilla and pour the mixture into a greased and floured 10- inch tube pan.  Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.
(Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen)


Sour Cream Pound Cake.
The cake turned out great, I could hardly wait for it to cool! Paula's recipe is so moist and my dad loved it of course! You can change it up and instead of vanilla extract you can add almond or lemon. When I do lemon I take the zest and juice of one lemon and mix it with about one cup of powered sugar to make a glaze. Keep adding sugar and water till its the right consistency, then pour it all over the top of the pound cake. You can experiment using different extracts and glazes to come up with your favorite. Anyways try it out and let me know how it goes, and keep sending my suggestions I really appreciate them!


My puppy Walker. 








No comments:

Post a Comment