Friday, June 1, 2012

Southern Hospitality

So as a southerner the first thing you learn is hospitality, this is important all across the south. If you notice when you walk into a home, restaurant or store in the south you always feel a warm welcome like you have known this person or place for years when in fact you haven't. I love this feeling and I love that no matter where I go in South Carolina I can find it.

O'Hara's. Photo taken from Yahoo.com
One of my favorite places that I get the best southern hospitality from is a restaurant in Mullins, SC called O'Hara's. It's located in an old building and it also is a bed and breakfast. I have been going there for Sunday dinners since I was "knee high to a grasshopper" as my grandmother would say. It is some of the best southern food served buffet style that you will ever eat. The owner Joe, she is a character, with a warm bubbly personality that you can't help but feel like you're family there.
O'Hara's Sideviwew. Photo taken from Yahoo.com
Sadly it is only open on weekends and most of the time you need to call to make a reservation especially on Sundays, after church it is always packed. The food they serve includes all the southern staples:

  • Roast Turkey
  • Ham
  • Boiled Shrimp
  • Macaroni and Cheese
  • Green Beans
  • Fried Chicken
  • Pasta Salad
  • Biscuits 
  • Collard Greens
  • Candied Sweet Potatoes
  • Lemon Meringue Pie
  • Pecan Pie
  • Devil's Food Cake
 There is just too much to list so you will have to go check it out yourself!


Tobacco Museum. Photo by Elaine Duncan.
O'Hara's isn't the only place there to see, but I will say it is why people keep coming back. Another place to go visit is the South Carolina Tobacco Museum which is close to my heart since my grandfather was a tobacco farmer. Tobacco was a cash crop in the south and helped build many of the towns southerns live in today. It is a fun way to learn the history of tobacco in South Carolina and how important it's role was in shaping South Carolina.


Museum Sign. Photo by Elaine Duncan.

Side View of Museum which is housed in the old train station. 
Photo by Elaine Duncan.

View looking across the street. Photo by Elaine Duncan.

View of Downtown. Photo by Elaine Duncan.

Detail of old building. Photo by Elaine Duncan.
 I hope that one day you can make a trip to visit Mullins, SC it is certainly one of South Carolina's hidden gems.



No comments:

Post a Comment